[osg-users] Node::Description into a generalized property mechanism?

Paul Martz pmartz at skew-matrix.com
Mon Nov 30 12:23:23 PST 2009

Chris 'Xenon' Hanson wrote:
>   Isn't this breaking all existing code that uses UserData/Description though?

It's not as bad as you might think. If someone were to add
CompositeUserData to OSG, they'd need to port all (internal) OSG code to
use the new system. External apps that use UserData would not be
compatible with the new system until their authors take the time to
port, but that's not really a problem, as it's no worse of a situation
than we have right now.

I'll also add that this would not be the first time OSG has had a
non-backwards compatible change (parameters to the draw callback that
changed in the 2.0 release being the other change that comes to mind in
recent memory), and everyone lived through that :-) .
    -Paul