[osg-users] Problems with TBO Texture Buffer Object's

Robert Osfield robert.osfield at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 09:34:28 PST 2009

Hi Johannes,

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 4:09 PM, Johannes Schüth <account at jotschi.de> wrote:
> Yes - PBO use DMA which is quite nice.  http://www.songho.ca/opengl/gl_pbo.html but you will be limited to the limitations of a texture (4096x4096 pixels at most systems)

Your GL code segment actually uses PBO's in it... :-)

> Texture buffer objects can make about 2^27 texels accessible within a shader.
>
> And i belive i have to use bindable uniforms for PBO's to make the changed data quite fast accessible within my shader? Might that be right?

I don't know anything about this particular extension so can't
comment.  It looks like the new texture buffer extension is kinda
equivalent to a GL_TEXTURE_1D so I'd be inclined towards suggestion
that one would create a new subclass from osg::Texture for the new
extension.

Do you have to use PBO's with texture buffer?  Or can you just pass
the data directly as per normal textures?