[osg-users] Problems with TBO Texture Buffer Object's

Robert Osfield robert.osfield at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 03:58:26 PST 2009

HI Johannes,

Oooh,, thanks for the link.  Looks like texture_buffer_object is a new
extension from NVidia that complete slipped beneath my radar.

As for using PBO's with GLSL, I'm not sure what gave the idea that you
couldn't use the two together, GLSL use of textures and how the data
is passed to the texture objects is completely orthogonal - as far as
standard GLSL is concerned a texture is a texture no matter how you
passed the data to it.  PBO's just help with getting the data to and
from the GPU efficiently.

In contrast, looking at the extension spec, the texture_buffer_object
looks to be like a new type of texture object that allows array like
access, rather than the traditional type of look up that one uses with
textures.  I don't know enough about the extension to say for sure but
I'd guess that it may well be compatible with PBO rather than an
alternative.

Robert.