[osg-users] Need advice for performance tweaks

Tueller, Shayne R Civ USAF AFMC 519 SMXS/MXDEC Shayne.Tueller at HILL.af.mil
Fri Nov 27 10:00:57 PST 2009

All,

I have a need to run my OSG app on some "marginal" hardware (single CPU with

a GeForce 4800 for example) while still maintaining some decent frame rates

(around 30fps). I want to use the same terrain database (built with VPB with
the

-terrain option) if possible.

I've used the setSampleRatio() method in the osgTerrain class and culling

backfaces to thin out the geometry with some success but I'm still not where

I need to be. As a result, I'm wanting to optimize a bit more if possible.

Does anyone have any suggestions for particular settings in the

databasepager or pagedLOD that I could try to achieve better performance?

I'm willing to sacrifice database fidelity to maintain decent frame rates if

I must.

Thanks for any suggestions in advance.

Shayne