[osg-users] [build] How to properly use the OSG_GL3_AVAILABLE CMake option?

Robert Osfield robert.osfield at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 01:32:04 PST 2009

Hi John,

On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 3:21 AM, John Price <john.price00 at gmail.com> wrote:
> My understanding of the way bindness graphics actually achieves its speedup is by not requiring CPU dereferencing of graphic object pointers and the likely L2 cache misses this causes.

NVidia bindless graphics extension is about reducing the CPU overhead
in draw dispatch, but... for the majority of modern graphics
applications draw dispatch isn't the bottleneck, so it'll only help
the minority of graphics apps that draw dispatch is a bottleneck.

Again, I'd ask yourself am is draw dispatch likely to be a bottleneck
in my app?  Likely cases of draw dispatch limited app is when you have
many thousands of separate geometries and state in screen on each
frame.   Even without the bindless graphics extension you can address
this bottleneck with a more balanced scene graph layout - i.e. make it
more coarse grained, by clumping geometry and state together.

If you can't address the draw bottleneck with a more efficient scene
graph then implementation the bindless graphics extension will be
important, if not then there is sure plenty of other things that you
can invest your time in to get better peformance.

Cheers,