[osg-users] Slave camera configuration by config file

Paul Martz pmartz at skew-matrix.com
Thu Nov 26 10:38:25 PST 2009

Hi Robert -- How would I create a config file that would tell osgViewer
to arrange four slave cameras in a 2x2 configuration?

I have a system with four displays arranged as a 2x2 powerwall. If I
simply bring up "osgviewer cow.osg", osgViewer seems to think that the
four displays are arranged horizontally. That seems like a fine default
assumption.

So I set about looking at the cfg plugin and the example Configuration
files in OSG-Data to see how I might set up a camera config file that
would offset the slaves appropriately for a 2x2 powerwall. But I'm
rather stumped as to how to go about this.

I see in osgViewer source code that, when it loads a config file, it
dynamic_casts the object as a Viewer. So my initial inclination was to
write a small OSG program that properly configured the four slaves, and
dump the viewer out to file as an object, then use that as the config
file. But this doesn't work. :( Obviously, I've overlooked something in
the code, because I thought this would be the way to do it.

I tested some of the provided config files, for example:
      OSG_CAMERA_FILE=Configuration/AllScreens.view osgviewer cow.osg
 From looking at the AllScreens.view file, my assumption was that this
would give me the same horizontal alignment behavior that I got with no
config file at all. But this command fails with a "failed to set up any
windows" error message.

Then it's off to the OSG-Users Google Group, where I searched for info
on camera config files. There was very little information available.

Thanks for any info.
--
Paul Martz
Skew Matrix Software LLC