[osg-users] NewB questions about osg

Tomlinson, Gordon GTOMLINSON at overwatch.textron.com
Tue Nov 24 05:38:48 PST 2009

Hi

If you have not done so I would recommend grabbing the PDF from
http://www.osgbooks.com/ especially
http://www.osgbooks.com/books/osg_qs.html they are free in PDF form, the
Quick start guide will answer many of the basic newbie questions

Also check out the over 140+ examples that come with OSG's source and
see
http://www.openscenegraph.org/projects/osg/wiki/Support/Tutorials
http://www.openscenegraph.org/projects/osg/wiki/Support/UserGuides/Examp
les
http://www.openscenegraph.org/projects/osg/wiki/Support/UserGuides
http://www.openscenegraph.org/projects/osg/wiki/Support/FAQ
http://www.vis-sim.com/osg/index.htm

Also check mail archives as many basic question have been answered many
time
See
http://www.mail-archive.com/osg-users@lists.openscenegraph.org/

1) Y is North is 0.0  Y+ into the Screen, X is East  X+ to right, and Z
is UP

2) All nodes have automatically calculated Bounding spheres ( when you
add children), Drawables / Geometry have bounding boxes

3) Basic collision detection Is done with line segments, if you want
geometry to geometry the you may need to write your own or find a tool
kit that's out there

Gordon Tomlinson
Product Manager 3d Technology
Overwatch(r)