[osg-users] Refactoring DatabasePager NeedToRemovestringflagging technique

Chris 'Xenon' Hanson xenon at alphapixel.com
Mon Nov 23 09:09:14 PST 2009

Robert Osfield wrote:
>> Second important issue for me is usage of _name in scene graph. I always
>> expected that _name is reserved for users and its a normal rule in all Scene
>> Graph implementations that libraries do not change it.  Names are ususlly
>> used to identify certain portions of models and hook up the code properly.
>> Thats something that provide standard linking mechanisms between artists and
>> programmers works.
> I agree, but... in this instance the DatabasePager's algorithm was
> about deleting a subgraph that would no longer have any role to play
> in the applications life so the changing of name should never have got
> outside that algorithm as the subgraph would be just deleted.  So it
> is in theory just a black box, how it does it's job shouldn't effect
> anything else.  Alas in this case it looks like the algorithm in
> DatabasePager is flawed.

  This is the part that I couldn't tell from a simple reading of the code. Once a node is
renamed to "NeedToRemove", under normal circumstances (ignoring the cache trick above), is
there any possibility that that node can "return to life"? It sounds like you're saying
there is no possibility, in which case I sort of agree with Robert that altering the name
is fair game, as the node is now "the walking dead" and anything is permissible.