[osg-users] Height fields implementation

Janna Terde brjanna at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 07:05:23 PST 2009

Hi Robert,

Thank you very much for your reply!
I am going to look into the osg::Terrain.

The other goal is to make an interactive editing of the height field so we can change the layout of the terrain on fly. However when I used Height Field class and alternated the values of the height with setHeight() functionality, the performance was very slow.

Would the usage of the osg::Terrain::TerrainTile with HeightFieldLayer improve this aspect?

I found out that currently (using plain HeightField ) the slowdown happens when I search for the intersection using LineSegmentIntersector and
when I reset a height of the grid cell using osg::HeightField::setHeight().

Thank you for any suggestions!

Cheers,
Janna

Read this topic online here: