[osg-users] Height fields implementation

Robert Osfield robert.osfield at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 08:15:59 PST 2009

Hi Janna,

osgTerrain::TerrainTile will be a better base to work from when
rendering a HeightField.  There is a HeightFieldLayer class that
allows you to attach your height field to the TerrainTile.  There is a
brute for GeometryTechnique that will just rendering the data by
sending down a vertex array and all the triangle primitives as
DrawElement - so will efficiently use indices.   Using osgTerrain
gives the ability to down sample the data, and also implement your own
custom TerrainTechnique if and when you need it.

Another approach is to to pre-process your data using
VirtualPlanetBuilder.  This will generated a paged database for you
and happily allow you to scale up to handling terra bytes of data.

Robert.