[osg-users] Rendering on two GPUs under linux

Jan Ciger jan.ciger at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 13:13:24 PST 2009

"Roman Grigoriev" <grigoriev at gosniias.ru> wrote:
> Hi,Robert
> Thanx for you reply. But you see I'm sure that under windows it's not
>  possible to render  on two Geforce cards and nvidia guys told me that I
>  need to buy Quadro. My app works fine and do some render but only one GPU
>  calculate graphics. And in SLI mode you have only one virtual GPU visible
>  to OS. And that's why I decide to move on linux. Today only CUDA can work
>  on two Geforce under windows, and nvidia cuts some functionality in
>  Geforce cards. When I run my code on linux I haven't got any speedup of
>  using two GPUs. And that's why I ask about this subject.

Roman, you can set your system up in such way that each GPU is assigned one X
screen (not Twinview where you have one large desktop stretched over the
cards). Then OSG will use two graphic contexts and render on both cards for
sure.

On the other hand, I doubt that you will see much of a speedup compared to a
single card. If you are rendering for an HMD and do not have some kind of
special, high-end high resolution one, you are most likely bound by the CPU
and not the GPUs. Usual HMDs that I have seen have resolutions from about
320x240 (low end) up to about 1280x1024 (decent, expensive stuff like Kaiser) -
the GPU you are mentioning should be able to cope with that easily.

Regards,

Jan