[osg-users] Deploy OSG application

Stephan Maximilian Huber ratzfatz at digitalmind.de
Fri Nov 20 09:15:03 PST 2009

Dominic Stalder schrieb:
> we are trying to deploy an OSG application on Mac OS X to another
> system, where OSG is not installed.
>
> What is the best way to distribute the application, should we use static
> OSG linking (makes the file huge) or are there other / better ways?

I haven't tried static builds on OS X, so I can't comment on them.

If you are using the deprecated xcode-projects to build osg as
frameworks you can embed them into your application bundle and
distribute it. This gives you a double-clickable app qhich you can copy
wherever you want, no installation-step necessary.

You just add a new copy-phase into your xcode-project of your app, set
it's target to Frameworks and add all osg-related frameworks to it. (and
the plugins goes into a subfolder plugins of the bundle)

You can use a similar technique with the dylibs created by the
cmake-build, but you'll have to adjust the paths via install_name_tool.

Or you create an installer package which copies the dylibs / frameworks
to known places like /Library/Frameworks or /usr/lib

HTH,
Stephan