[osg-users] OpenGL ES-2.0, OpenGL ES-1.1 and OpenGL 3.x support now ready for testing :-)

Thomas Hogarth thomas.hogarth at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 18 08:31:28 PST 2009

Hi Robert

> >Good to hear about progress on porting to iPhone.  So which libs do
> >you now have compiling, just osg and OpenThreads?  What about osgUtil,

>osgDB etc?  What problems are you encountering?

So far just threads and osg, thought I'd go for a minimum needed to get a
proof of concept first. Although Util is probably a good idea. So far the
only problem was that the path for the gl header was a little different on
IPhone and just had to config out display lists etc.
osgDB could be a funny one, I'll see what happens but by default the IPhone
sdk doesn't present any obvious ways (wizards) for creating dynamic libs.
May have to look into if Apple even allows the run time loading of libs.

> >You'd need to create your own graphics context then use
> >osgUtil::SceneView.  Or just comment out the compile of the
> >GraphicsWindow*.cpp build from the CMakeLists.txt and then build
> >osgViewer, then use something like osgviewerSDL or osgviewerGLUT to
> >create the graphics context for you and let osgViewer::Viewer do the
> >rendering using the GraphicsWIndowEmbedded functionality.

I have a glES context so sounds like sceneView is my best bet.

> >BTW, on the iPhone what is the scheme for creating windows and
> >graphics contexts?  Is Cocoa based?  Would it be possible to use any
> >of the existing osgViewer support for OSX?

Yes IPhone uses cocoa and Objective C which at the momnet I rather suck at
(jump to c++ at first chance). It does use views and windows although at the
mo my window is created in the interface editor. I think the cocoa viewer
should be a pretty good start point for an iphoneViewer.

I'm hoping to get a test scene rendering tonight and then should get a
chance to try a stab at an iphone implementation of Viewer. Leaving plugins
as the big maybe :)

Cheers
Tom