[osg-users] OpenGL ES-2.0, OpenGL ES-1.1 and OpenGL 3.x support now ready for testing :-)

Robert Osfield robert.osfield at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 08:18:44 PST 2009

Hi J-S,

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 2:51 PM, Jean-Sébastien Guay
<jean-sebastien.guay at cm-labs.com> wrote:
> One thing you apparently need to be careful of is that Apple is now more
> careful in its screening of iPhone apps that are submitted for the App
> Store, they apparently got bitten by some apps harvesting phone numbers and
> such... I don't know personally, but I read it here:
>
> http://www.develop-online.net/news/33266/Unity-iPhone-games-rejected-by-Apple
> http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=35744
>
> Seems some of the calls they rejected apps for seems to be an equivalent of
> getenv(), which OSG uses, so it might be interesting to check the actual
> approval rules and see if we can disable things that would cause apps to be
> rejected with an iphone-specific define in CMake or something.

Making such changes should be done in a way as to minimize the
platform specific changes, and to place which ones you have to provide
into specific functions.  So if getenv is see as a potentially "hot"
function then we could create out own getenv function that is a non op
where users which is disable it.  Other "hot" system calls could be
treated the same way.

It may also be useful to toggle such features on/off at runtime, as
well as at compile time.

As to what "hot" functions there might be I'll have to defer entirely
to the community for the particulars of each platform combination.
Just let us know what they specifically are are we can discuss what
changes might be most appropriate to be take account of them.

Cheers,