[osg-users] Best ways to render "FE" models with millions of tris and quads

Robert Osfield robert.osfield at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 01:24:43 PST 2009

Hi Andrew,

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 10:53 PM, Andrew Cunningham
<osg at a-cunningham.com> wrote:
> Now here is something interesting I do not understand completely
>
> 1) I turned on display lists ( with VBO off), and the speed of rendering went up enormously - but with a memory penalty of course. From probably 2-5 frames per second to 30 frames per second+ for a model of 1.5 million elements.
> 2) Turning on VBO ( with display lists off) did not seem to do anything. Certainly the rendering speed was not improved noticeably. My graphics card is an nVidia Quadro FX1400 which has the VBO extensions.

This finding suggest to me that you scene graph really isn't optimal
and the CPU overhead in draw dispatch is a bottleneck.  Use the on
screen stats support in osgViewer to see what the update, cull, draw
dispatch and draw GPU costs are.

What you should get is best performance with VBO's.