[osg-users] Best ways to render "FE" models with millions of tris and quads

Andrew Cunningham osg at a-cunningham.com
Tue Nov 17 14:53:15 PST 2009

Hi Robert,

With optimization I mean calling something like
osgUtil::Optimizer optimizer;
optimizer.optimize(osgAssembly_,osgUtil::Optimizer::DEFAULT_OPTIMIZATIONS );

Anyway,  I did my own optimization to create the absolute minimum number of PrimitiveSets and have basically got back to where I was +10% which is OK.

Now here is something interesting I do not understand completely

1) I turned on display lists ( with VBO off), and the speed of rendering went up enormously - but with a memory penalty of course. From probably 2-5 frames per second to 30 frames per second+ for a model of 1.5 million elements.
2) Turning on VBO ( with display lists off) did not seem to do anything. Certainly the rendering speed was not improved noticeably. My graphics card is an nVidia Quadro FX1400 which has the VBO extensions.

Read this topic online here: