[osg-users] Best ways to render "FE" models with millions of tris and quads

Andrew Cunningham osg at a-cunningham.com
Tue Nov 17 07:44:14 PST 2009

Hi Robert et al,

As usual, some great and helpful replies!

- The geometry consists of probably 20 or so geonodes, so is probably reasonably well subdivided , but not too much...

- What the bleep is a VBO and how do I use it. Seriously,  I am an OpenGL 1.2 guy so do not have lot of experience with more advanced OGL APIs. Is this something you can just turn on in OSG? Better RTFM!

- I need to pick the elements. That is be able to click on an individual "Tri" or "Quad" and get back to the model data. This works just fine right now using primitiveindex  returned from the picking and a lookup table, but as I said any optimization or flattening hidden to me makes that impossible.

- When you say just using a single block of  DrawElementUint(GL_TRIANGLES), that is basically what I am doing as much as possible. When picking I can go back to the original "model" object by knowing what "Triangle" I picked - but optimization will still blow that link away.

Andrew

Thank you!

Cheers,
Andrew