[osg-users] Best ways to render "FE" models with millions of tris and quads

Robert Osfield robert.osfield at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 01:07:18 PST 2009

Hi Andrew,

For this type of task I would use VBO's and in conjunction with
DrawElementsUint() usage.  Breaking up the model in to spatial zones
so that rather than having one very large osg::Geometry you have a
whole series of osg::Geometry each with a modest number of vertices -
I've found around 10,000 a pretty useful target of models with
millions of vertices on screen.  The advantage of segmenting the model
in this way is that it aid view frustum culling and provides the
OpenGL driver and hardware the ability to manage the memory
asynchronously if and when it needs to copy the data.

W.r.t DrawElementUint() you may well find that just using single block
of DrawElementUint(GL_TRIANGLES) is sufficient, and the indices you'll
be able to map back to your original primitives.

Robert.