[osg-users] Best ways to render "FE" models with millions of tris and quads

Andrew Burnett-Thompson aburnettthompson at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 16 12:38:18 PST 2009

Hi there,

>From my (short) experience with OSG, to reduce memory consumption, get the
number of vertices down (Optimise geometry using TRI_STRIP), share state
sets (or just use vertex colours for shading) and as you said turn off
display lists. Also reduce (or remove) Transform nodes.

As for optimisation, yes you say that you will lose the ability to pick a
primitive, but could you perhaps write your own picking IntersectionVisitor
that first picks by Geode, then drills down into the triangle and updates
the vertex colours just for that tri?

Take a look at IntersectionVisitor, SmoothingVisitor, TriangleFunctor as
these deal with triangle-level geometry.

Hope that is helpful,
Andrew