[osg-users] DataVariance questions

Robert Osfield robert.osfield at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 07:50:15 PST 2009

Hi Glenn,

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 3:42 PM, Glenn Waldron <gwaldron at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all, I have a questions about DataVariance in DrawThreadPerContext mode.
> I understand conceptually how it is supposed to work, but I am unclear on a
> detail:
>
> Does setting the data variance on a Node affect the drawables/statesets in
> the render graph?

No, Nodes have no effect on the render graph as only StateSet and
Drawables make it into the rendering backend.

> When you call View::setSceneData(), it runs the StaticObjectDetectionVisitor
> to automatically compute data variance on all the drawables and statesets.
> Good. But what data that you load or page in at runtime? Do I need to run
> that visitor on dynamically loaded data?

Your data really should have the DataVariance set appropriately before
passing it back to be merged, the StaticObjectDetectionVisitor is
really just a fallback for when scenegraphs aren't set up explcitly.

> From looking at the source, it would appear that unless you run that
> Visitor, setting the data variance to DYNAMIC on a Node only affects the
> Optimizer, and has no effect on the data variance of drawables in the render
> graph. I'm going to fire up the debugger and try to test this out, but any
> insights in the meantime would be appreciated. Thanks.

This is correct, the Optimizer is the currently the only traverser
that uses the DataVariance hint on nodes.