[osg-users] DataVariance questions

Glenn Waldron gwaldron at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 07:42:16 PST 2009

Hi all, I have a questions about DataVariance in DrawThreadPerContext mode.
I understand conceptually how it is supposed to work, but I am unclear on a
detail:

Does setting the data variance on a Node affect the drawables/statesets in
the render graph?

When you call View::setSceneData(), it runs the StaticObjectDetectionVisitor
to automatically compute data variance on all the drawables and statesets.
Good. But what data that you load or page in at runtime? Do I need to run
that visitor on dynamically loaded data?

>From looking at the source, it would appear that unless you run that
Visitor, setting the data variance to DYNAMIC on a Node only affects the
Optimizer, and has no effect on the data variance of drawables in the render
graph. I'm going to fire up the debugger and try to test this out, but any
insights in the meantime would be appreciated. Thanks.

Glenn Waldron : Pelican Mapping : http://pelicanmapping.com :
+1.703.652.4791