[osg-users] osgOcean also rendering with osgParticle?

Kim Bale kcbale at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 16 02:19:26 PST 2009

Hi Erik,

Unfortunately there aren't any tricks for this. Getting transparencies
and glare to work together is quite an involved problem and would
require quite a few changes to OceanScene.

The problem is that the glare should only really affect the sea,
otherwise everything glimmers and it all looks a bit naff. So I
override the alpha component of all other objects in the scene to 0 so
that the glare pass ignores their luminance values, and then set it to
1 when rendering back to the main frame buffer.

The easiest way to rectify this would be use multiple render targets,
one to store the luminance values and one to store the normal pixel
color and alpha values. Then use the separate luminance buffer for the
glare effect. I'm not sure if Ogls multiple render target
implementation is any more efficient than using a completely separate
pass but rendering the ocean twice would be very costly.

It's on my list of things to do, I find the problem quite interesting.
But with limited free time, progress on osgOcean is quite slow I'm
afraid.

Regards,

Kim.