[osg-users] HeightField Performance

Chris 'Xenon' Hanson xenon at alphapixel.com
Fri Nov 13 09:00:14 PST 2009

Teodor Hanchevici wrote:
> Hi,
> I am trying to build a simple DEM editing tool, so I have to read the data myself from different file formats. I need not only to render the surface but also to interact and change its values.

  The VPB terrain system is mainly for non-dynamic terrain.

  Can you rely on shader support in your app? Some dynamic alteration would be possible by
shaders.

  Also, you should not use just one gigantic heightfield entity of constant resolution.
This is slow and inefficient. VPB/osgDEM splits your terrain into a quadtree of LODs,
ensuring better clipping and decimation of detail.