[osg-users] HeightField Performance

Teodor Hanchevici calin.hanchevici at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 15:59:14 PST 2009

Hi all,

I am trying to use a HeightField to render DEM from a TIFF file. Things work fine up to 1024x1024 grid, however the performance is not so great for 2048x2048 or higher grids.  Ideally I would like to be able to load 4096x4096 fast (1-2 seconds) and render them smoothly (15fps or higher). Currently it takes about 6 seconds to create and render the geode (IO time excluded).

Two questions:

1. Is this class the appropriate one for what I want to do?
2. Are there other alternatives to it that would yield better performance

Thank you!

Cheers,
Teodor

Read this topic online here: