[osg-users] Preload textures in graphics card

Robert Osfield robert.osfield at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 03:34:38 PST 2009

Hi Joseba,

The OSG already pre compiles textures when the graphics context is
realized as long as you've assigned the scene graph prior to realizing
the windows.  If you load and assign the scene graph afterwards then
you'll need to do a precompile step then, but if you already using the
PagedLOD and the DatabasePager it'll already be doing this pre-compile
step for you.   My guess is that this precompile is already done so
redoing won't make any difference.

Now, there is more to keeping textures resident than just compiling
them, and there more to avoiding frame drops that compiling textures,
so... there is a lot left to look into to fix the frame drops.   I
know practically nothing about how you've composed your scene graph or
your hardware so I can't add very much about what to look into next.

Robert.