[osg-users] ShadowMap problem...

Jean-Sébastien Guay jean-sebastien.guay at cm-labs.com
Wed Nov 11 08:26:39 PST 2009

Hi Wyatt,

> 1.  Is there a way I can query the number of texture units available on my
> GPU via an OSG call?

A Google search turned up glGetIntegerv(GL_MAX_TEXTURE_UNITS_ARB). Also
searching the OSG headers, I found
osg::Texture::Extensions::numTextureUnits() which returns a GLint (int).
Look at the source to find out where the value will be initialized or
how to initialize it yourself.

I generally don't bother to query and use 8 (0-7) as a number that's
supported pretty much everywhere.

> 2.  Is there a list, other than the osgShadow programming guide of shadowmap
> techniques, specifically ViewDependentShadow techniques?

The source/headers... And the mailing list archives.

The three usable types are:

class  	LightSpacePerspectiveShadowMapDB /*...*/ {};
class  	LightSpacePerspectiveShadowMapCB /*...*/ {};
class  	LightSpacePerspectiveShadowMapVB /*...*/ {};

And LightSpacePerspectiveShadowMap is an alias for
LightSpacePerspectiveShadowMapDB :

typedef LightSpacePerspectiveShadowMapDB LightSpacePerspectiveShadowMap;

And also StandardShadowMap is usable, but it's not view-dependent, so
it's pretty much a direct replacement for osgShadow::ShadowMap but in
the same class hierarchy as the LightSpace* classes.

Hope this helps,

J-S
Jean-Sebastien Guay    jean-sebastien.guay at cm-labs.com
                                http://www.cm-labs.com/