[osg-users] Would someone be willing to help me diagnose a performance issue?

Jean-Sébastien Guay jean-sebastien.guay at cm-labs.com
Tue Nov 10 13:45:30 PST 2009

Hello Frank,

> I'm not sure exactly what these numbers mean.

You were on the right track. The Camera numbers are the objects that are
not culled, and the View numbers are the objects that are in the view's
scene, whether they're culled or not.

When you set a node's mask to 0, you're force-culling the node. The
traversals (whether the update, cull or draw traversals) will visit the
top node (that has its node mask to 0), binary-and that with their
traversal mask, the result will be 0 so they will not traverse down into
them. It's pretty cheap to test, as long as the node mask is really set
on the root node of a whole hierarchy, and not on the leaf nodes
(Geodes), because that would force the visitors to traverse the whole
hierarchy only to find that at the bottom there's nothing to draw.

You modified the "quick app" to have the same object cache as the "slow
app", but the numbers for the "quick app" with object cache are actually
very similar to those of the "quick app" without object cache. So that
suggests that all the objects you added to the graph (i.e. the object
cache) are not being visited by the cull visitor, so they don't affect
the stats.

Now, you need to examine why the numbers are so much higher for the slow
app. Can you modify that one so that it doesn't load up as many objects
into the object cache? Also, how many of the loaded objects are visible
when you get those stats? And are the objects from the object cache
really hidden by setting their root node's node mask to 0, or are they
hidden by setting the node mask on some lower node in the hierarchy? It
seems to me that some of the hierarchy of the invisible objects is being
visited even if they're not being displayed.

The number of transforms (Matrices in the stats) and drawables seems
pretty high to me for the number of vertices you have visible, so I
really think there's something fishy in the way you're hiding the nodes.

If you analyze your graph, in the "slow app", you've got about 86
vertices per drawable (straight division), and one transform per
drawable. In the "quick app", you've got 217 vertices per drawable
(again straight division) and again one transform per drawable. So in
the "quick app" the geometry is batched better (but only slightly -
vertices in the thousands or tens of thousands per drawable would be
better on modern cards), and you've got a pretty flat graph (one
transform per drawable), though that's pretty normal for a modeling tool
(which is what I assume you're working on, or similar tool).

There's been much written on how to optimize the graph in the past, so
for further reading you could search the archives on that subject. But
you've got something weird in the "slow app" already, as I said above...
My hunch is that the way you hide the nodes is different and not optimal.

Hope this helps,

J-S
Jean-Sebastien Guay    jean-sebastien.guay at cm-labs.com
                                http://www.cm-labs.com/