[osg-users] Using osgViewer::GraphicsWindowEmbedded Was: Renderer and SceneView classes

Doug McCorkle mccdo at iastate.edu
Tue Nov 10 06:20:51 PST 2009

Hello Robert,

On Nov 10, 2009, at 2:51 AM, Robert Osfield wrote:

> Hi Doug,
>
> On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 5:54 PM, Doug McCorkle <mccdo at iastate.edu>
> wrote:
>> Candidly, I think that the VR Juggler configuration and device
>> management is
>> better than what is in OSG. I realize that is a personal preference
>> but I
>> like the VR Juggler windowing API and hardware management and
>> configuration
>> tools and implementation.
>
> There is nothing stopping you from using the VR juggler configuration
> to set the osgViewer Camera slaves up,
Correct, this would be just like how Performer is handled in VR
Juggler. We have looked at this off and on over the past ~2 years and
there does not seem to be much upside for all the work this would
require.

> osgViewer can happily be an
> implementation detail if VR juggler is flexible enough to not force
> it's own window creation.
Correct, but again, that would assume that the OSG windowing
implementation is better than what we already have. My personal
opinion is that the windowing implementation in VR Juggler is better
but we can disagree on this point.

>> I also like the leanness (it is a word amazingly)
>> of the VR Juggler approach and implementation for windowing and
>> device
>> management.
>
> But... it rather does hobble the OSG in the way you are present using
> the OSG.  You don't get access to the more sophisticated threading
> models, RTT support, DatabasePager you have wire up yourself...

You are assuming we do not already have these tools....

>> Most of what is supported in osgViewer I do not need or want. I
>> really like the core OSG scenegraph and the file loaders but beyond
>> that we
>> do not need all of the event handling, manipulator tools, or other
>> nodekit
>> integration that osgViewer provides. We need a flexible scenegraph
>> that we
>> can control much of what is going on under-the-hood with windowing
>> and
>> events.
>
> I believe you can do all this with using osgViewer and you'll get more
> out of the OSG as well.  If you want to do windowing yourself then the
> ideal tool would be to create the windows and then using
> GraphicsWindow's ability to inherit the parent window to use.

Your comment above is the best option in my opinion but would require
OSG to become a compile time dependency of VR Juggler. Right now OSG
is included in 1 file of VR Juggler which makes VR Juggler very
portable.

I think another good option would be to figure out how to make
GraphicsWindowEmbedded work with multiple contexts. If we did this
then we would have a direct SceneView replacement where all SceneView
apps could easily migrate to osgViewer.

Doug