[osg-users] Using osgViewer::GraphicsWindowEmbedded Was: Renderer and SceneView classes

Robert Osfield robert.osfield at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 00:51:01 PST 2009

Hi Doug,

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 5:54 PM, Doug McCorkle <mccdo at iastate.edu> wrote:
> Candidly, I think that the VR Juggler configuration and device management is
> better than what is in OSG. I realize that is a personal preference but I
> like the VR Juggler windowing API and hardware management and configuration
> tools and implementation.

There is nothing stopping you from using the VR juggler configuration
to set the osgViewer Camera slaves up, osgViewer can happily be an
implementation detail if VR juggler is flexible enough to not force
it's own window creation.

>  I also like the leanness (it is a word amazingly)
> of the VR Juggler approach and implementation for windowing and device
> management.

But... it rather does hobble the OSG in the way you are present using
the OSG.  You don't get access to the more sophisticated threading
models, RTT support, DatabasePager you have wire up yourself...

> Most of what is supported in osgViewer I do not need or want. I
> really like the core OSG scenegraph and the file loaders but beyond that we
> do not need all of the event handling, manipulator tools, or other nodekit
> integration that osgViewer provides. We need a flexible scenegraph that we
> can control much of what is going on under-the-hood with windowing and
> events.

I believe you can do all this with using osgViewer and you'll get more
out of the OSG as well.  If you want to do windowing yourself then the
ideal tool would be to create the windows and then using
GraphicsWindow's ability to inherit the parent window to use.