[osg-users] Renderer and SceneView classes

Robert Osfield robert.osfield at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 05:54:56 PST 2009

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 1:28 PM, Doug McCorkle <mccdo at iastate.edu> wrote:
> Do you have an example of how to use this class with an existing windowing
> toolkit? There was an FAQ on this subject related to SceneView that does not
> seem to be present anymore. If you have an example related to osgViewer that
> would be great.

osgveviewerSDL and osgviewerGLUT both show how to use GraphicsWindowEmbedded.

> Just as a note, while osgViewer offers more "features" than SceneViewer for
> some apps needs those features are not needed and therefore the simple
> interface of SceneView is more than sufficient and provides easy integration
> with other windowing toolkits. Hopefully with
> osgViewer::GraphicsWindowEmbedded offers a similar interface with low
> computational overhead that does not bring along features that cause a
> performance hit.

There is essentially no overhead in using osgViewer vs SceneView.  As
you'll see from the osgviewerSDL and osgviewerGLUT examples it's
actually very straight forward to use.

Another key benefit of using osgViewer over SceneView is that it means
that you can move between using GraphicsWIndowEmbedded style app to
one using the inbuilt GraphicsWindow functionality or GraphicsWindow
window inheritance, you aren't locked into one style of viewer usage.

Finally osgViewer usage is far more supportable by others in the
community.  Using SceneView directly means that you can use and abuse
it in ways that we can't second guess.   What makes it harder for us
to support is a loss all round, both for you as you won't get the same
quality of support as you'll get using mainstream classes, and for
those attempting to support you as they just be wasting time trying to
help you do stuff that osgViewer already solves.