[osg-users] Renderer and SceneView classes

Doug McCorkle mccdo at iastate.edu
Mon Nov 9 05:28:29 PST 2009

Hello Robert,

On Nov 9, 2009, at 3:22 AM, Robert Osfield wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 2:44 PM, Paul Martz <pmartz at skew-matrix.com>
> wrote:
>> Hi Robert -- There are large projects out there based on SceneView
>> and
>> getting along just fine without osgViewer. Removing SceneView
>> would, at
>> best, require them to migrate SceneView out of OSG and into their
>> own app
>> (where it would continue to work, barring future incompatible
>> changes in
>> OSG). And at worst, cost them an expensive port and re-verification
>> of their
>> product.
>>
>> I support marking SceneView as deprecated and replaced by Renderer,
>> but
>> think it would be wise to avoid changes to OSG that render SceneView
>> inoperable.
>
> This has been my plan.  To steadily move more functionality into
> osgViewer::Renderer and make SceneView redundant w.r.t modern OSG
> usage.   SceneView needn't change too much, as
> CullVisitor/RenderStage/RenderBin etc. will still be in osgUtil.
>
> Once SceneView is redundant we'd need to make decision of when to move
> it out of the core OSG into the deprecated section of the subversion
> repository along with items like the old OpenFlight plugin.   Prior to
> SceneView being moved out we'll need a period where we encourage OSG
> users still relying on SceneView to migrate to using osgViewer::Viewer
> in conjunction with osgViewer::GraphicsWindowEmbedded, as it offers
> the same easy ability to embed but offers a whole heap more
> flexibility and functionality.

Do you have an example of how to use this class with an existing
windowing toolkit? There was an FAQ on this subject related to
SceneView that does not seem to be present anymore. If you have an
example related to osgViewer that would be great.

Just as a note, while osgViewer offers more "features" than
SceneViewer for some apps needs those features are not needed and
therefore the simple interface of SceneView is more than sufficient
and provides easy integration with other windowing toolkits. Hopefully
with osgViewer::GraphicsWindowEmbedded offers a similar interface with
low computational overhead that does not bring along features that
cause a performance hit.

>  I would encourage this right now, as
> SceneView is well passed it's sell by date.

Doug