[osg-users] Computing Normals for Drawables

Robert Osfield robert.osfield at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 02:47:53 PST 2009

Hi Andrew,

Vertex indices are just available for backwards compatibility, I would
not recommend using them at all as they force the OSG down on to slow
paths where it assemble the actual data to send to graphics card on
each frame, as graphics cards do not support per primitive normals, or
decoupled vertex indicies.

The most efficient way to use OpenGL/graphcis hardware is with
straight vertex arrays and osg::DrawElements to manage indices.

Robert