[osg-users] Renderer and SceneView classes

Robert Osfield robert.osfield at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 01:22:44 PST 2009

Hi Paul,

On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 2:44 PM, Paul Martz <pmartz at skew-matrix.com> wrote:
> Hi Robert -- There are large projects out there based on SceneView and
> getting along just fine without osgViewer. Removing SceneView would, at
> best, require them to migrate SceneView out of OSG and into their own app
> (where it would continue to work, barring future incompatible changes in
> OSG). And at worst, cost them an expensive port and re-verification of their
> product.
>
> I support marking SceneView as deprecated and replaced by Renderer, but
> think it would be wise to avoid changes to OSG that render SceneView
> inoperable.

This has been my plan.  To steadily move more functionality into
osgViewer::Renderer and make SceneView redundant w.r.t modern OSG
usage.   SceneView needn't change too much, as
CullVisitor/RenderStage/RenderBin etc. will still be in osgUtil.

Once SceneView is redundant we'd need to make decision of when to move
it out of the core OSG into the deprecated section of the subversion
repository along with items like the old OpenFlight plugin.   Prior to
SceneView being moved out we'll need a period where we encourage OSG
users still relying on SceneView to migrate to using osgViewer::Viewer
in conjunction with osgViewer::GraphicsWindowEmbedded, as it offers
the same easy ability to embed but offers a whole heap more
flexibility and functionality.   I would encourage this right now, as
SceneView is well passed it's sell by date.