[osg-users] Renderer and SceneView classes

Paul Martz pmartz at skew-matrix.com
Sun Nov 8 06:44:20 PST 2009

Robert Osfield wrote:
> Hi Dan,
>
> SceneView is part of the original beginnings of the OSG, when it was
> single threaded, single context, and is now scheduled for deprecation.
>  It will eventually be replaced entirely by functionality in
> osgViewer::Renderer, but for now I've simply reused SceneView.

Hi Robert -- There are large projects out there based on SceneView and
getting along just fine without osgViewer. Removing SceneView would, at
best, require them to migrate SceneView out of OSG and into their own
app (where it would continue to work, barring future incompatible
changes in OSG). And at worst, cost them an expensive port and
re-verification of their product.

I support marking SceneView as deprecated and replaced by Renderer, but
think it would be wise to avoid changes to OSG that render SceneView
inoperable.
    -Paul