[osg-users] Epic releases free version of Unreal Editor

Simon Hammett s.d.hammett at googlemail.com
Sat Nov 7 14:12:45 PST 2009

2009/11/7 Jan Ciger <jan.ciger at gmail.com>:
> Simon Hammett <s.d.hammett at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> which is yet another step in the process.
>> that's making things more complicated, not less.
>> and .lwo works rather nicely so why change?
>
> Because .osg can capture also things that are native to the scenegraph that
> you cannot capture in .lwo (e.g. shaders). Moreover, the compiled .ive is
> optimized by the OSG optimizer, saving even more loading time.

And if I needed shaders or animation I'd be using the osg export script.
Like I said, .lwo does it for me, so why add an extra step?

>> Sometimes our apps are rolled out to many hundreds of machines;
>> am I supposed to ask them to install blender, install the export
>> script, then install our app
>> x 700 times? That's just not going to fly.
>
> Then you are doing it wrong, in my opinion. If you are provisioning 700
> machines, you should have a premade system image with all this preconfigured or
> an installer that will install all the tools the user needs in one go (Blender
> and the scripts are freely redistributable). Then having an extra exporter or
> whatever doesn't matter.
>
> Are you really saying that you are installing (or have the users install) 700
> machines manually?? I do not know your exact situation, but this sounds rather
> crazy to me.

I completely agree, it is crazy.

But we sell s/w to small/medium sized manufacturing companies and that's
the way most of them do this stuff.

We try and persuade them otherwise, but it's very rare for anybody to
ever listen. And even then, our s/w isn't just used directly by the
clients, it's
distributed to their many sales reps who are independent companies of
only 1 or 2 people.

Most the of the sales reps are people who have trouble walking and talking
at the same time, so the install process has to be as simple as possible.

In the manufacturing world most companies have very small profit margins
and are therefore very reluctant to spent money and are very conservative
and as a suppler to those companies, our profits are minimal as well
unfortunately.

My development machine is over 4 years old and my monitor is over 10 years old.
But I get to do quite a bit of graphics work, so that makes up for the
other irritations.

> Anyhow, I am not going to tell you how to do your job - if it works for you,
> by all means stay with it.

I wish we wouldn't...

>> btw, do you have any xp with that library?
>> I'd much appreciate any thing extra you can tell me about it.
>
> No, I didn't try it, I just saw it in Bullet when I have played with it.

Ah, ty.

--
http://www.ssTk.co.uk