[osg-users] osgText artifacts

Jeremy Moles jeremy at emperorlinux.com
Fri Nov 6 11:21:40 PST 2009

On Fri, 2009-11-06 at 14:10 -0500, Don Leich wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> For a while now I've noticed that some of my osgText at times may exhibit
> unwanted artifacts, similar to TV ghost images.  These artifacts are affected
> by the text size, resolution, and perhaps other factors.
>
> Digging in a bit more I found that the osgtext demo shows this
> problem -- look at the lower, right most "t".  This partial snap shot was
> taken when osgtext ran at a window size of 800 x 600 on a Quadro FX 4000.
> The second snap is from my development where the artifacts are a little more
> prominent.
>
> Does anyone know how to avoid these ghosts?

These are software bugs--one which I have lamented for years--though I
was never able to fix them in OSG proper. Instead I've written an
external library called osgPango to give better font support in OSG (at
the cost of having to depend on the Pango library). Please check out:

http://osgpango.googlecode.com

...for more info. You can contact me here, on AIM as cubicool, or on
googletalk as cubicool at gmail.com if you want to ask any questions. It
will build easy on Linux, harder on Windows (though, as you can see from
the screenshot, it's not impossible. :))