[osg-users] Epic releases free version of Unreal Editor

Simon Hammett s.d.hammett at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 6 11:14:10 PST 2009

2009/11/6 Jean-Sébastien Guay <jean-sebastien.guay at cm-labs.com>:
> Hi all,
>
>> looks much better
>
> I didn't mean to start a discussion about engine licensing and use. I
> assumed that if we're here it's probably because we want to use OSG and
> design / write our own engines!
>
> I was focusing on the toolset. And in fact, I was probably overly
> enthusiastic about the Unreal toolset being available, because the licensing
> terms say that it (the engine in this case includes the toolset) can only be
> used for free for noncommercial and educational projects. So that rules out
> using it to make assets for an OSG-based commercial project, which is what I
> was excited about.
>
> Oh well. I guess Blender + text editor is still the (free) toolset of
> choice...

Yah, blender is the only tool I've found useful with osg so far.
Even then you have to be careful.

I've gotten good results with exporting blender -> .lwo as long as you
split your model meshes up the right way, so you can run the smoothing visitor
on it.

At some point when I've got time I would like to add crease angle support
to the visitor which would make modelling a whole lot easier.

It would be nice if osg could load directly out of .blend files, but the code in
blender that deals with the file format is huge.

Maybe somebody who is particularly bored could have a go at
refactoring the .blend
code into a separate library.

--
http://www.ssTk.co.uk