[osg-users] Epic releases free version of Unreal Editor

Jeremy Moles jeremy at emperorlinux.com
Fri Nov 6 09:13:42 PST 2009

On Fri, 2009-11-06 at 12:02 -0500, Jean-Sébastien Guay wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> > looks much better
>
> I didn't mean to start a discussion about engine licensing and use. I
> assumed that if we're here it's probably because we want to use OSG and
> design / write our own engines!
>
> I was focusing on the toolset. And in fact, I was probably overly
> enthusiastic about the Unreal toolset being available, because the
> licensing terms say that it (the engine in this case includes the
> toolset) can only be used for free for noncommercial and educational
> projects. So that rules out using it to make assets for an OSG-based
> commercial project, which is what I was excited about.
>
> Oh well. I guess Blender + text editor is still the (free) toolset of
> choice...

You bring up an interesting point. What do you think is missing in the
OSG world in terms of external tools? There used to be something called
osgedit, but I recall it being extremely annoying to build. And I also
remember a world editor called "GROME" purporting to include OSG, but I
never investigated it.

I'd be interested in what you had to say about it, since you have a good
understanding of this kind of thing. :)

--
Follow us on Twitter! http://twitter.com/emperorlinux

EmperorLinux, Inc.