[osg-users] Epic releases free version of Unreal Editor

Jean-Sébastien Guay jean-sebastien.guay at cm-labs.com
Thu Nov 5 20:03:36 PST 2009

Hi Simon,

> Yeah I spent quite a bit of time playing with the UT editor way back
> with the release before UT 2K3
> It was crap then and I doubt it's got any better.

This release is not the level editor that shipped with any of the games.
It's the toolset that was used to create the assets for the games (along
with the engine itself). It was not previously available without paying
a lot of money for licenses of the SDK.

> Call me cynical but I don't see this as any more than a last gasp of
> an irrelevant game dev. studio.

The problem with that reasoning is that the Unreal Engine is not used
only by Epic in their own games (even though "the last UT sucked nads"
which is a very compelling and objective argument) but by a very large
number of other devs. That was the basis of my argument about large
numbers of people knowing the toolset.

Once again, we're not talking about the freely downloadable level
editor, but the actual toolset and engine used by the game development
teams to create assets, scripts, etc. during development of the games.
 From what I've heard, the Unreal Engine is one of the most
well-regarded toolsets in the industry. Many many games have been made
with it, in many genres, including shooters, RPGs, MMOs, etc. Look it up.

J-S
Jean-Sebastien Guay    jean-sebastien.guay at cm-labs.com
                                http://www.cm-labs.com/
                         http://whitestar02.webhop.org/