[osg-users] Epic releases free version of Unreal Editor

Jean-Sébastien Guay jean-sebastien.guay at cm-labs.com
Thu Nov 5 17:23:07 PST 2009

Hi all,

I expect most of you have already seen this:

http://www.develop-online.net/news/33198/Epic-releases-free-version-of-Unreal-Engine

I'm mostly interested in this for the toolset, which is apparently very
robust. If the file formats are reasonably open and we can make plugins
to read the data that comes out, it may be an excellent way to create
very good assets for OSG-based projects.

Consider the following scenario: someone has been doing game assets for
a while now and feels very comfortable in that kind of pipeline. Now,
they want to start having a family, or maybe just have a more stable
work schedule without all the crunch times that game development
companies still impose. Well, companies making simulators, serious
games, or other 3D products might be able to hire these people more
easily if they can adopt toolsets that those people are familiar with.

I think that kind of scenario will become more common as the huge teams
of game artists start aging, which is already starting and will only
increase in the next few years. Kind of analogous to the general
population with all the baby-boomers these days.

And on a completely selfish note, I know our own content creation
pipeline could use some help... Especially once we start integrating
more effects, it's going to get hairy. So I'll be checking this out for
sure to see if it can help.

J-S
Jean-Sebastien Guay    jean-sebastien.guay at cm-labs.com
                                http://www.cm-labs.com/