[osg-users] Setting up VPBMaster

Jacob Armstrong jacob88 at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 4 05:24:35 PST 2009

Thanks again to everyone for their help with these questions. I've got a much better understanding of what's going on based on your feedback and information that was just presented to me yesterday by management. It turns out that the process I'm trying to implement now was designed over 2 years ago (right about when we were supposed to be receiving the OpenFlight data from our customer). The design was based on OSG-1.2, and VPBMaster wasn't even a twinkle in OSG's eye, if you will. By the time we received the OpenFlight data (June of this year), the engineer-in-charge of the process picked his design back up and began modifying his conversion tool to match some unexpected input from the data. Part of this re-design was accounting a 1000 x 1000 km DB, when we were expecting it to be 500 x 500 km. Unfortunately, he didn't foresee the issues we're having with Process Time and Data Storage back then. Now we're paying for it with program dollars, and I'm paying for it with a few gray hairs. I think it's obvious that VBPMaster is the tool for this job, but I don't think it's likely that I will get approvable to upgrade our version of OSG, get VPBMaster, and then "test" our process using these new tools. It's just too "risky" of a move this late in the game. I'm presenting these issues to management today, and I believe they will make the decision to lower the resolution over the entire database and re-run the process. I guess I just work for an old-school-minded company that's afraid of drastic or sudden change  :). Anyway, thanks again to everyone for your input! It's greatly appreciated!