[osg-users] Setting up VPBMaster

Robert Osfield robert.osfield at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 01:04:56 PST 2009

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 10:13 PM, Riepl, David M
<david.m.riepl at boeing.com> wrote:
> Regarding your questions on what osgdem does if it crashes...
> 1) No, it cannot pick back up from where it left off and continue on.  You
> would have to start over and hope for better results.  I always suffered
> from "laughable" experiences where it would be on the 10th day of a build
> and the power would go out.

Just for clarification, osgdem itself can't pick up on a partial
build, but a vpbmaster can pick up from an aborted/failed build - as
it breaks the whole job down into potentially thousands of task (even
hundreds of thousands in large databases) and each task is dispatched
in parallell for osgdem to build.  Each of these tasks can't be
partially built and then restarted so will have to be repeated in full
if it aborts, but overall this is not a big overhead as each task only
task a small portion of the overall build.