[osg-users] How should I organize the scene graph to handle 2 million points and lines?

J.P. Delport jpdelport at csir.co.za
Tue Nov 3 22:31:53 PST 2009

Hi,

Andrew Burnett-Thompson wrote:
> Sorry to butt in the conversation here, but I also am working on an app
> with memory issues and we are considering Paged LOD.
>
> For a scene with millions of objects, won't there be a huge performance
> hit as geometry is loaded/unloaded?

possibly, but if you can't fit everything into memory at once you have
to load/unload something. The PagedLOD is able to cope with terabyte
sized terrain databases with millions of files at interactive rates, so
it seems possible.

> I imagine the sort of scene like a city scape where detail is controlled
> very nicely. That's good as occlusion means not too many things will be
> visible at any one time.

Yes, it also helps when e.g. 95%+ of an earth database is outside the
field of view and can be culled :)

> However what in the case of points and lines as the user above has
> posted? Surely in this case loads will be visible at once, there will be
> no occlusion, and if you sweep around with the camera, literally
> thousands of objects will get paged in/out?

You are right in expecting that different types of scenes might require
different paging stategies.

jp

BTW I'm no PagedLOD expert, just a user.