[osg-users] Setting up VPBMaster

Chris 'Xenon' Hanson xenon at alphapixel.com
Mon Nov 2 10:38:18 PST 2009

Jacob Armstrong wrote:
> question, you're exactly right. I'm taking a bunch of Openflight data
> with 3D terrain/textures/models and I'm just generating a 2D map to be
> displayed from the Bird's-Eye-View. Your comment about going about that
> the wrong way scares me, but also indicates that there's a better way?
> Could you shed some light on that? I would love to pursue a different
> approach if it's more feasible for what I'm doing.

  Using 3D to solve a 2D problem is never the right approach.

  Your mention of OpenFlight makes no sense to me. OSGDEM can't take OpenFlight data as an
input data source AFAIK. My understanding is you have a bunch of raster images you're
feeding to OSGDEM (possibly with some DEM terrain data, but maybe not) and making a .OSG
dataset.

  Explain to me what role OpenFlight is playing here. I could write you a 2D zoomable map
window component that would mop the floor with what you're trying to do. You're using a
gigantic hammer (OSG, 3D, openGL, OSGDEM) to solve a 'screw' problem that should really be
solved with a screwdriver (2d graphics techniques).