[osg-users] Setting up VPBMaster

Jacob Armstrong jacob88 at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 2 10:31:33 PST 2009

Chris,

Thanks again for your input. I won't even bother with VBPMaster now unless I get approval to upgrade OpenSceneGraph. There is a lot of overhead and hoops to go through in order to make a change like that, so I'm compile this info and pitch it to management and let them make a decision.

As far as the current process goes, I'm glad to hear that "it might work". My biggest question was "if this is too much data, when will osgem crash - during processing or during writing?" Your right, I will be upset if it crashed during writing, because that means I've lost 15 days, and I could have been exploring the options of VBPMaster by updating OSG, if that even gets approved here. To answer your last question, you're exactly right. I'm taking a bunch of Openflight data with 3D terrain/textures/models and I'm just generating a 2D map to be displayed from the Bird's-Eye-View. Your comment about going about that the wrong way scares me, but also indicates that there's a better way? Could you shed some light on that? I would love to pursue a different approach if it's more feasible for what I'm doing. However, I do know that my former co-worker ran a series of smaller samples of this exact database, processing it at various levels, and it produced the desired result. At one point, he had an output of 22,000 files, generated at various resolutions, and the resulting .ive database is fully compatible with our software and displays the entire database. Now we're just trying to apply that process to the entire database at a higher resolution? Do you have an alternative suggestion? I'm really open to any quicker/more reliable solution. Thanks!