[osg-users] Setting up VPBMaster

Jacob Armstrong jacob88 at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 2 09:15:00 PST 2009

I'm picking up a project that was started by someone else who left the company and re-located a few weeks ago. I'm not really sure how we got to the point we're at, but that's what I'm stuck with, and it's too late to try switching things around now. I work for a Flight Simulation Company and we're generating a Tactical Map that is 1000kmx1000km. We generated 1879 Bitmaps at a resolution of 2MPP, and I'm using osgdem to generate an .ive database to be used by our software on a Flight Simulator we're currently building. It's currently been running for 7 days, and it's diving into the 11th Level, so I'm anticipating around 873,000 files to be generated, consuming approximately 175GB. I'm fine with the Disk Space as we're storing the DB (along with 4 others of similar sizes) on a 2TB drive. I was told by Robert Osfield to try using VPBMaster for this, but I can't get off the ground with it. He said 1879 files was too much to feed into OSGDem. However, my former co-worker wrote a method that handles an ARG_FILE as input to OSGDem and feeds it the parameters as necessary to execute them. I believe this method is doing what vpbmaster would do, if I could get it running. Do you have any thoughts all that?

Thanks!

Jake