[osg-users] Refactoring DatabasePager NeedToRemove string flagging technique

Chris 'Xenon' Hanson xenon at alphapixel.com
Mon Nov 2 08:05:38 PST 2009

Jean-Sébastien Guay wrote:
> This doesn't really help you, but I wanted to be more detailed than just
> saying "I agree".

  Thanks for th insight, everyone.

  I'm kind of an old-school C-flavor programmer, so my instinctive response is rather
C-like. I don't like bloating people's in-memory objects, so I'd lean towards defining a
32-bit flag member on class Node called something like _ephemeralInternalStateFlags. This
would not be saved or restored, and the definitions of each flag bit would be enumerated
as 1<<n enums in the Node class header. Code outside of the OSG core distribution would be
prohibited (by policy, can't really enforce it in the compiler) from defining and
utilizing these flag bits, but code within OSG core could. The first bit allocated would
be used to replace the NeedToRemove indicator.

  Also, while the read-modify-write cycle used to toggle just one bit of a flag is not as
fast as the blind-write cycle used when you dedicate a whole boolean variable (and consume
more memory), both the setting operation AND the testing operation should be faster than
the current string-marking technique.

  If Robert has no objections to this solution, I'll code it up quick and share it.

  I'm also concerned about the amount of very similar-but-not-quite-the-same code between
DatabasePager::capped_removeExpiredSubgraphs and
DatabasePager::expiry_removeExpiredSubgraphs. I'd like to refactor that to DRY (Don't
Repeat Yourself) it out a bit as I'm implementing some code of my own that needs to
cleanly dispose of some PagedLOD children. But, I don't understand why there are
differences in the disposal technique between them (one calls
_fileRequestQueue->updateBlock() directly, one sets a local flag and calls updateBlock()
at the end of the operation, etc).