[osg-users] Converting GeoTiff to UTM - unable to compute output bounds

Glenn Waldron gwaldron at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 08:52:59 PDT 2008


J-S, from the looks of the coords, your original file may have already been
in UTM to begin with. When you ran "gdal_translate -a_srs WGS84 file.tif
file.wgs84.tif" you assigned a WGS84 projection to what appears to be a UTM
tif file. Can you double-check this?

Glenn

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 11:34 AM, Jean-Sébastien Guay <
jean-sebastien.guay at cm-labs.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This is probably just a sign of my inexperience in using gdal and
> GeoTiffs... I'm getting this error message when trying to convert a GeoTiff
> to UTM (in meters):
>
> ========================================================================
> > gdalwarp -t_srs "+proj=utm +zone=32 +datum=WGS84 +units=m"
>  file.wgs84.tif file.utm.tif
> ERROR 1: Too many points (441 out of 441) failed to transform,
> unable to compute output bounds.
> ========================================================================
>
> This is the info of the file:
>
> ========================================================================
> > gdalinfo file.wgs84.tif
> Driver: GTiff/GeoTIFF
> Files: Gjoa-fledermaus.wgs84.tif
> Size is 6190, 7250
> Coordinate System is:
> GEOGCS["WGS 84",
>    DATUM["WGS_1984",
>        SPHEROID["WGS 84",6378137,298.2572235630016,
>            AUTHORITY["EPSG","7030"]],
>        AUTHORITY["EPSG","6326"]],
>    PRIMEM["Greenwich",0],
>    UNIT["degree",0.0174532925199433],
>    AUTHORITY["EPSG","4326"]]
> Origin = (548676.250000000000000,6807000.000000000000000)
> Pixel Size = (0.955613893376414,-0.956137931034483)
> Metadata:
>  AREA_OR_POINT=Area
> Image Structure Metadata:
>  INTERLEAVE=PIXEL
> Corner Coordinates:
> Upper Left  (  548676.250, 6807000.000)
>            (548676d15'0.00"E,6807000d 0'25769803776.00"N)
> Lower Left  (  548676.250, 6800068.000)
>            (548676d15'0.00"E,6800068d 0'25769803776.00"N)
> Upper Right (  554591.500, 6807000.000)
>            (554591d30'0.00"E,6807000d 0'25769803776.00"N)
> Lower Right (  554591.500, 6800068.000)
>            (554591d30'0.00"E,6800068d 0'25769803776.00"N)
> Center      (  551633.875, 6803534.000)
>            (551633d52'30.00"E,6803534d 0'25769803776.00"N)
> Band 1 Block=6190x1 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Red
>  Mask Flags: PER_DATASET ALPHA
> Band 2 Block=6190x1 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Green
>  Mask Flags: PER_DATASET ALPHA
> Band 3 Block=6190x1 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Blue
>  Mask Flags: PER_DATASET ALPHA
> Band 4 Block=6190x1 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Alpha
> ========================================================================
>
> The first thing I noticed is that what is in the SPHEROID section doesn't
> seem to match the other coordinates in the file, but I'm not sure that's the
> problem, and even if my hunch is correct, I don't know how to fix it.
>
> For reference, the original file (which I got from importing point data
> into some third party software and then exporting a GeoTiff from it) had
> this info:
>
> ========================================================================
> >gdalinfo file.tif
> Driver: GTiff/GeoTIFF
> Files: Gjoa-fledermaus.tif
> Size is 6190, 7250
> Coordinate System is:
> PROJCS["unnamed",
>    GEOGCS["unnamed",
>        DATUM["unknown",
>            SPHEROID["unretrievable - using WGS84",6378137,298.257223563]],
>        PRIMEM["Greenwich",0],
>        UNIT[,0.0174532925199433]],
>    UNIT["unknown",1]]
> Origin = (548676.250000000000000,6807000.000000000000000)
> Pixel Size = (0.955613893376414,-0.956137931034483)
> Image Structure Metadata:
>  COMPRESSION=LZW
>  INTERLEAVE=PIXEL
> Corner Coordinates:
> Upper Left  (  548676.250, 6807000.000)
> Lower Left  (  548676.250, 6800068.000)
> Upper Right (  554591.500, 6807000.000)
> Lower Right (  554591.500, 6800068.000)
> Center      (  551633.875, 6803534.000)
> Band 1 Block=6190x1 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Red
>  Mask Flags: PER_DATASET ALPHA
> Band 2 Block=6190x1 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Green
>  Mask Flags: PER_DATASET ALPHA
> Band 3 Block=6190x1 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Blue
>  Mask Flags: PER_DATASET ALPHA
> Band 4 Block=6190x1 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Alpha
> ========================================================================
>
> and I got file.wgs84.tif by running
>
> ========================================================================
> > gdal_translate -a_srs WGS84 file.tif file.wgs84.tif
> ========================================================================
>
> on it.
>
> Any hints would be appreciated. Thanks in advance,
>
> J-S
> --
> ______________________________________________________
> Jean-Sebastien Guay    jean-sebastien.guay at cm-labs.com
>                               http://www.cm-labs.com/
>                        http://whitestar02.webhop.org/
> _______________________________________________
> osg-users mailing list
> osg-users at lists.openscenegraph.org
> http://lists.openscenegraph.org/listinfo.cgi/osg-users-openscenegraph.org
>



-- 
Glenn Waldron : Pelican Mapping : http://pelicanmapping.com :
+1.703.652.4791
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openscenegraph.org/pipermail/osg-users-openscenegraph.org/attachments/20080929/f59a9670/attachment-0003.htm>


More information about the osg-users mailing list