[osg-users] Thanks to OSG !

Serge Lages serge.lages at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 05:31:09 PDT 2008

Hi Robert,

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 1:22 PM, Robert Osfield <robert.osfield at gmail.com>wrote:

> It just so happens I have a submission awaiting review that does an
> initial port of OSG to OpenGL ES.  It's not a submission that will be
> easy to integrate so I'll probably take it bit by bit.

It's a good news !

> > "I would also say: "thanks to the ImageStreamer functionality" ;)))"
> >
> > Yeah, thanks to ImageStream and FFmpeg !
>
> Curious... have you written a ImageStream implementation that
> integrates with FFmpeg?  I look at this in a past be decided that
> xine-lib would be the a line of lesser ressistance (FFmpeg was pretty
> esoteric code back when I first looked at it).

I'm not the author of this code but yes it's an ImageStream implementation
which use FFmpeg, and it seems it was not too hard to make it work for
movies, we just had more problems with the sound. FFmpeg is really a
powerfull toolkit for reading movies, but also for creating or converting
them.

> It's nice to see the OSG being deployed in a way that really shows off
> what it's capable of when in expert hands.

Thanks ! :)

"What are the specs of the hardware, OS, OSG version
etc that you deployed on these touch screen systems?  What API's did
you use to get the touch screen data?"

For the two applications we have Intel Core 2 Quad processors with 2 GeForce
8900GT cards (in SLI on the single screen setup and with one screen per card
on the dual screen setup - the one with the Earth -). Behind that it's a
WinXP with the SVN version (from yesterday) of OSG. The screens are 46" and
57" from NEC (all full HD), with a touch capacitive film on them.

And we don't use any specific API for the events, it's just like a mouse.
The next step will be to handle multi-touch events, but here it will need
some special API's. :)

--
Serge Lages
http://www.tharsis-software.com