[osg-users] Question about plane intersections

Jean-Sébastien Guay jean-sebastien.guay at cm-labs.com
Wed Sep 24 10:06:57 PDT 2008

Hi John,

> Can anyone point me to something that would be useful in OSG for solving
> the problem of making a set of contour lines similar to those seen on
> maps? I'd like to provide osg with a plane and get the shape created by
> the intersection with the plane.

I'm sure others can provide more mathematically-inclined answers
(perhaps even something already in OSG), but I could see doing that by
making a shader that draws lines when the world-space Z coordinate is a
given value (or a given multiple of a given value, or whatever).

Not sure how familiar you are with shader programming, but it should be
pretty easy. Of course, if you need the result for other calculations
rather than just for display (or if you need it to be arbitrary planes,
or other things) this won't work.

Hope this helps,

J-S
Jean-Sebastien Guay    jean-sebastien.guay at cm-labs.com